Edmonton Dentist: How Thumb-sucking Is Harmful To A Child’s Oral HealthJune 25, 2020
Edmonton Dentist ー When you hear of dental hygienists, the first thought that probably comes to your mind is someone whose job is to clean the teeth and make sure that patients are practicing proper dental hygiene which is, in fact, true. However, that is not the sole purpose of a dental hygienist. Dental hygienists are licensed dental professionals who are well-trained to provide dental cleanings Edmonton and full oral health care for patients. They basically specialize in the prevention and treatment of many oral diseases such as gingivitis and oral cancer. They also usually work independently or alongside Edmonton dentists.. Aside from that, it is also a dental hygienist’s duty to cover areas of both patient care and after-care treatment. Not only is it their job to maintain your oral health but it is also their job to give you advice and recommendations on how you can treat your teeth better.
How does one become an Edmonton Dentist dental hygienist?
To become a licensed dental hygienist, you must have the following qualifications:¬
- A dental hygienist must complete required prerequisites to enter a dental hygiene program.
- You must successfully earn a dental hygiene diploma or bachelor’s degree from a university accredited by The Commission on Dental Accreditation of Canada
- One must pass a written and/or clinical entry-to-practice examination.
- Practising dental hygienists must be registered with the dental hygiene regulatory authority in their province or territory.
- Most provinces and territories require dental hygienists to successfully complete a number of professional development initiatives each year.
What are the duties of an Edmonton Dentist dental hygienist?
Here is a breakdown of the many duties of dental hygienists:
- Dental hygienists handle regular dental cleanings and remove the build-up of tartar and plaque from teeth.
- They do patient screenings to quickly check and examine the overall health of the patient’s teeth and identify possible signs of tooth decay and/or gum disease.
- Educate patients about the proper brushing and flossing techniques and implement oral care interventions to patients who have a hard time maintaining their oral health.
- Performperiodontal therapy or treatment Edmonton, including, assessing and recording the overall oral conditions (charting), providing scaling and root planing (teeth cleaning), and taking measures for oral disease prevention.
- Some dental hygienists administer local anesthesia and perform intraoral radiography.
- Dental hygienists also often take x-rays
- Dental hygienists are also the ones who applydental sealants Edmonton and administer fluoride treatment as part of children’s dental care Edmonton.
- They also size and qualify bands for dental braces.
- They are also in charge of removing oral appliances from patients.
- Lastly, they are the ones who take dental impressions for the construction of casts and mouthguards.
If you are looking for an Edmonton dentist with knowledgeable and well-trained dental professionals who are committed to providing you with your dental care needs, Edgemont Dental is the right place for you. We offer various dental treatments and procedures for your dental needs and concerns. If you have any questions, please feel free to visit us or contact us at 780-761-7070. We look forward to seeing you!